Wednesday, October 25, 2006

So who and what is ChicKen ScRatch?

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingSo who is ChicKen ScRatch?
Well, I am Laura Jane, the owner of ChicKen ScRatch Slings.
I have been happily married to my husband now for almost 6 years!
We have a beautiful daughter and a handsome little son.
We live along the beautiful beaches and the regrowth of the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
My husband is in the U.S. Navy Seabees and we have recently been restationed here to my home state.
I am just a simple Southern woman who makes sweet tea and ring slings, what a great life!

So what is ChicKen ScRatch?
They are ring slings of course!
When I had my son in Dec of 2004, he was an amazing baby. He was so happy and so easy to please, but with my other daughter and the growing daily tasks, I knew that I would need some sort of assistance. I wanted to be able to complete all of the tasks I have always done, but I didn't want that to mean taking attention away from my son. He was always one who wanted to be carried, snuggled and loved. I didn't want to let go of that for dishes!
I did some research and found baby slings!
Long story short, I didn't find one that I liked so I put my creative thoughts to the test!
I started selling them locally and then I opened up my online store in May of 2005.
I desperately wanted to come up with something original and new. I didn't want to offer plain white or black slings, I wanted moms (dads can wear too) to look and feel great while wearing their sling!
I started small and basic, no, boring! I tried sprucing it up a bit, but they were just tacky.
I went fabric shopping and found the most comfortable denim that I have ever seen. I had some very pretty accent fabric that I wanted to add to it. I wasn't sure how I was going to. I wanted funcionality and FLAIR!
I decided on adding a large accent panel and a pocket. What good is anything without a pocket?
I hate ironing, it truely is a chore for me. If I was going to start making something, I wanted to at least enjoy it and ironing would not allow me to enjoy my new hobby.
I decided to actually use trim for the edges, this way I didn't have to iron and moms could actually find a rail eaisly (the rails are the edges of the fabric used to adjust a sling)
After I was through with my new creation, I still was not pleased. There was a large amount of stitching shown near the rings and it was just plain unattractive and it took away frm the sling. I had some excess fabric left over, so I sewed it on. The "shoulder band" is now our signature to each of our slings!
So now I have a business that allows me to have fun, be creative, let loose and show parents that baby wearing can also be fun, refreshing, oh and fashionable too!

Be sure to contact me if you have any questions! I am revamping my website at the time, but I am still more than happy to help you out!

No comments: